Britain launches 10-year plan to save health service in crisis

Nemzetközi hírek, 04 July 2025

 British Prime Minister Keir Starmer on Thursday will launch a 10-year strategy to save a National Health Service he said was in crisis, as he aims to alleviate the burden on overstrained hospitals and provide care closer to people's homes.

The state-run, publicly funded NHS has struggled to recover from the impact of COVID-19, endured annual winter crises and several waves of industrial action, and currently reports long backlogs for elective procedures.

Starmer has previously warned that the NHS must "reform or die" and pledged an overhaul of the system that would manage the rising costs of looking after an aging population without hiking taxes.

In a statement, Starmer said that his Labour Party had inherited a health system in crisis when it came to office one year ago, but that the plan would "fundamentally rewire and future-proof" the service.

The plan included establishing new health centres bringing a broader range of services under one roof. The government said that would free hospitals from "perpetual firefighting" and bring down waiting lists.

After a rocky first year in government marked by unpopular spending cuts - and in some cases followed by costly policy reversals - health care is one area where Starmer's party can claim some success.

It has delivered 4 million extra appointments - double its first year target - and cut waiting lists to a two-year low. Starmer said the NHS could not be fixed overnight, but that his government was "already turning the tide on years of decline".

Nevertheless, the government remains in an impasse with the pharmaceutical sector on drug pricing. It also faces possible fresh industrial action from healthcare staff and is yet to publish a promised strategy to fast-track development of the country's life sciences sector.

- reuters.com

Reporting by Alistair Smout

További híreink

...

Nemzetközi hírek

U.S. Cuts Vaccines Recommended for All Children from 18 to 11

A new executive order signed by U.S. President Donald Trump reorganizes childhood and adolescent vaccine recommendations into three categories. Vaccinations recommended for all children will cover 11 diseases, while several others will be advised for higher-risk groups or through shared clinical decision-making. The order also calls for further review of vaccine timing and sequencing and aims to expand parental choice.

11 Aug 2026

...

Nemzetközi hírek

Europeans Are Open to AI, but Human Connections Still Matter

Satisfaction with healthcare systems remains low across the countries surveyed, while artificial intelligence is becoming part of more people’s health-related decisions, according to the STADA Health Report 2026. Eighty-two percent of respondents are open to AI playing a role in their care, but 77 percent still rely on their general practitioner or another healthcare professional when making health-related decisions.

06 Aug 2026

...

Nemzetközi hírek

In Harvard study, AI offered more accurate emergency room diagnoses than two human doctors

A new study examines how large language models perform in a variety of medical contexts, including real emergency room cases — where at least one model seemed to be more accurate than human doctors.

08 May 2026

...

Nemzetközi hírek

Giant Polish cancer hospital may open ahead of schedule

Work on one of Europe’s largest cancer hospitals is ahead of schedule and may see the modern facility in the southwestern Polish city of Wrocław treat its first patients in 2027.

13 Feb 2026